The virtual disk is larger than it should be

Korhinos

Jun 12, 2024
Hello,
I have a problem with the size of vm. as you can see in SS the disk size is 1.1 TB while after checking disk usage with NCDU the same VM actually occupies 1.5 TB. How to fix this error? I'm running out of disk space because of this, even though practically it should take up much less space.
SS:
chrome_2au86WNxck.png
chrome_GM1uGooAyy.pngputty_98jBcrQ2Vy.png

So basically if this virtual machine uses windows server 2019 after doing "Windows Guest Configuration"
should it be ok or should I still do "Shrink the Disk File" from the instructions from this link?
Or is it enough to simply select "discard" in disk options? Sorry for such questions, but I have quite a low level of knowledge about proxmox.

Images in the qcow2 format tend to grow in time, due to features like snapshots, or because they can't differentiate between zero writes and unallocated blocks. See here: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Shrink_Qcow2_Disk_Files
Okay I checked the discard option in the hardware and checked whether Windows had trim enabled using the fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify command, but it did not help - the disk did not shrink. I cannot select the SSD Emulation option - does this have any impact on the situation? Do I have to manually shrink the disk file to make it smaller?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!