The question about type's of CPU

Nychary

Oct 25, 2021
Hi guys!

I have a question about type's of CPU.

We have the server: MicroBlade MBI-6128R-T2X
Processor:
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2640 v4 @ 2.40GHz, Speed: 2400 MHzб Core: 10) *2
Memory: Max Capable Speed: 2400 MHz, Operating Speed: 2133 MHz, Size: 32768 MB, Serial No.: 03DA7CCB, Part No.: M392A4K40BM0-CRC, Manufacturer: Samsung) *8

Proxmox 7.0.11 was installed.

I am creating a new VM and am a little confused about the CPU types. What does max (QEMU), qemu 32 (QEMU) and qemu 64 (QEMU) mean? I could not find information on this.

Can you advise what type of processor is best for our server? We used kvm64 every year, but now it looks outdated.

Thank you.

Hi,
when you want all features and fastest performance you set "HOST" for CPU-Type.
If you need it more compatible or maybe use VM Guest OS which can not work with a very new "CPU" you can set KVM64 do be very Compatible but not "that" fast....

Hi,
when you want all features and fastest performance you set "HOST" for CPU-Type.
If you need it more compatible or maybe use VM Guest OS which can not work with a very new "CPU" you can set KVM64 do be very Compatible but not "that" fast....
Yes, I know about Host and kvm64. But I don't want to use "host". We have a lot of VMs, and I'm not sure that our resources will be enough for everything. And kvm-64 is not fast as you said.

So, I would like to know if there are different types of processors for optimal performance.

Yes, I know about Host and kvm64. But I don't want to use "host". We have a lot of VMs, and I'm not sure that our resources will be enough for everything. And kvm-64 is not fast as you said.

So, I would like to know if there are different types of processors for optimal performance.
Are we talking about what is "emulated" by the HyperVisor in Proxmox "KVM"? Or are you talking about getting a new CPU in your Hardware-Server?
In Proxmox the fastest you can set is "HOST". When performance degrades cause of to much VMs and vCPUs, then nothing will help except getting a faster CPU or reducing load of your VMs.

Are we talking about what is "emulated" by the HyperVisor in Proxmox "KVM"? Or are you talking about getting a new CPU in your Hardware-Server?
In Proxmox the fastest you can set is "HOST". When performance degrades cause of to much VMs and vCPUs, then nothing will help except getting a faster CPU or reducing load of your VMs.
I'm talking about emulated. Ok, I understood. I just noticed many types of processors while creating VM and decided to ask about them.

Hi Nychary, I have the same issue on my minecraft server . Minecraft servers run on single-threaded processing, and for this reason, you might think that the best CPU for Minecraft server is one with a high single-threaded clock speed. but actually it is not true, after testing different options I discover facts that intels work better .These are my top 3 :

1-Intel Core i3
2-Intel Core i5
3-AMD Ryzen 3
If you cant get your answer check this link for full review : https://cloudzy.com/best-server-processor/

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!