The Need of subscription

A.U

Jul 25, 2021
Hello everyone,

I'm really new in the word of hypervisor and VMS. Basically I'm after a short experience with exsi, but exsi do not give any GPU support except to the Enterprise Plus service that the give and is not fitting my budget, but I have to say it was a comfortable hypervisor.

Anyhow proxmox is look like very fitting to and the price that the ask for my test is ok, and if there is need i willing to pay.

But do I need it in this stage for my test??

My test is to use the PVE on a Dell poweredge R730 - with 2 Xeon e5-2698v3 and 512 GB of ddr4, and one GPU card, Nvidia Tesla k80 with 2 GPU unit that have 12 gddr memory.

My willing is to give 70% of the resource to one VMS with 100% of the GPU in passthrough mode, and the rest of the power for experiment.

The strong VMS need to do calculation linear and parallel, that send from my workstation PC.

I would love to here yours options.

Regards,

AU

Its totally fine for testing because there are no limited features running it without a license except for:
1.) no access to the better tested enterprise repository
2.) no fast personal (ticket/remote login) support by the proxmox staff

But the support forums are great (staff will answer here too) and there is a no-subscription repository that isn't missing any packages.

Last edited:
Reactions: A.U
I think the pricing page at https://proxmox.com/en/proxmox-ve/pricing answers your question pretty well:

A subscription provides access to the stable Proxmox VE Enterprise Repository delivering reliable software updates and security enhancements, and to technical help and support.

In other words: yes, not having a subscription for testing is fine, because you don't need reliable software updates and security enhancements in that case. You may need technical help and support, but the community offers that.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!