The disk situation on my server, how to set up Ceph reasonably?

zhousp666

Jan 6, 2024
I have 5 servers, each equipped with 4 NVMe drives of 3.2TB and 24 SATA drives of 8TB. This is my first time setting up a Ceph cluster. How should I best allocate and create Ceph? For instance, how should I set up DB and WAL disks, as well as the configuration of pools?
These are all brand-new servers, with Proxmox VE 8.1 systems just installed.

I tried using individual SATA drives as storage for virtual machines within Proxmox VE, but the read/write speeds are only around 100MB/s. Is there a way to optimize the read/write speeds? Considering that multiple virtual machines will be installed for employee use in the future, I'm concerned that this might affect efficiency.

Snipaste_2024-04-08_11-29-53.png

Snipaste_2024-04-08_15-14-02.png

The screenshot only shows 2 NVMe.

If you really have 4 use them as DB/WAL device for the HDDs and an additional OSD. If possible use the NVMe controller to create 2 namespaces on each NVMe. Otherwise use LVM. Make the DB/WAL volume 70G for each HDD, 6 of these on each NVMe, use the rest for an NVMe-OSD.

The screenshot only shows 2 NVMe.

If you really have 4 use them as DB/WAL device for the HDDs and an additional OSD. If possible use the NVMe controller to create 2 namespaces on each NVMe. Otherwise use LVM. Make the DB/WAL volume 70G for each HDD, 6 of these on each NVMe, use the rest for an NVMe-OSD.
Can I split one NVMe into two partitions for DB/WAL, each SATA drive uses the partition of this NVMe as OSD.
The remaining 3 NVMe drives are used separately.

If allocated in this way, what should be the proportion of the NVMe disk size of 3.2T used as the partition size for DB/WAL?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!