[SOLVED] The current guest configuration does not support taking new snapshots.

shore

Jul 25, 2024
Hi!
I am new to PVE, and I am facing a problem that I don't know how to solve, I hope to get some help, thanks!

I have created a VM with the system ubuntu-server and I would like to create an initial snapshot before proceeding to the next step. But when I try to create it I encounter this error and the "Take snapshot" button is grey:
Code:
The current guest configuration does not support taking new snapshots
I've looked at similar issues and it seems to be related to the format of the drive, but I'm not sure how to change it.
Here is the hardware configuration of the virtual machine:
屏幕截图 2024-08-13 221056.jpg
Thank you!

The question is - what type of storage is "data".
Can you please provide TEXT output encased in CODE tags of:
cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg
pvesm status
qm config 108

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox
here are the output:

Code:
root@alpha:~# cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg
dir: local
        path /var/lib/vz
        content vztmpl,backup,iso

lvmthin: local-lvm
        thinpool data
        vgname pve
        content images,rootdir

lvm: data
        vgname data
        content rootdir,images
        nodes alpha
        shared 0

root@alpha:~# pvesm status
Name             Type     Status           Total            Used       Available        %
data              lvm     active      1514057728      1048576000       465481728   69.26%

root@alpha:~# qm config 108
agent: 1
balloon: 4096
boot: order=scsi0;ide2;net0
cores: 16
cpu: x86-64-v2-AES
ide2: none,media=cdrom
memory: 32768
meta: creation-qemu=8.1.5,ctime=1723552849
name: website-ubuntu-erver-4090
net0: virtio=BC:24:11:0B:05:50,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 0
ostype: l26
scsi0: data:vm-108-disk-0,iothread=1,size=1000G
scsihw: virtio-scsi-single
smbios1: uuid=7cc4287a-3416-4d1a-a6ea-26d79f545e5a
sockets: 1
vmgenid: 34610a52-eca3-491e-ad56-86ba4aa3a2e1

looks like the type of disk which called "data" is lvm.

LVM-type storage does not have snapshot-support ( see the storage-type table [1])
You'll either need to use the lvm-thin on the local disk, or convert the storage to ZSF, ZSF over iSCSI or Ceph(FS) if at all possible.

One "hacky" way to make a (storage) snapshot though: Migrate the data-disk to a different storage but keep the delete disk option off, and you'll have a disconnected clone of the drive on the old storage.

[1] https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage#_storage_types

Last edited:
Reactions: bbgeek17
LVM-type storage does not have snapshot-support ( see the storage-type table [1])
You'll either need to use the lvm-thin on the local disk, or convert the storage to ZSF, ZSF over iSCSI or Ceph(FS) if at all possible.

One "hacky" way to make a (storage) snapshot though: Migrate the data-disk to a different storage but keep the delete disk option off, and you'll have a disconnected clone of the drive on the old storage.

[1] https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage#_storage_types
Thanks! I will try it!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!