Testing KVM appliances in an already virtualized environment

Loredo

Feb 21, 2012
Munich
Hi all,

I have a running installation of Proxmox VE 2 beta which is working like a charm!
I'm really happy with it :D

For testing purposes and to avoid crashing my host during extensively testing new appliances I took another installation of PVE right into an KVM virtual machine on my PVE server. OpenVZ guests are running as usual of course but KVM guests inside of this already virtualized environment seem to be a bit tricky.
As soon as I start the KVM I get the error "No accelerator found!" which I interprete for missing hardware acceleration. In general this is correct of course but shouldn't it be possible to tell KVM on the physical host to also offer hardware virtualization capabilities to the guest?
I have tried to set the CPU for this KVM to setting "host" which means to pass through all of the physical servers CPU attributes to the guest.
However this did not help and I don't know what to search for as Google did not hit a real lot of useful results.

Anybody here who could give a statement to recursive virtualization with KVM?

Regards,
Julian

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!