TASK ERROR: unable to create CT 106 - unsupported Ubuntu version '8.04'

LHS1

Sep 23, 2020
I had an Ubuntu 8.04 machine running on Proxmox 3.3 and all was fine.

I took a snapshot/backup and got this something like this ubuntu8.04.tar.gz

A few years later i decided to have another look at Proxmox

I tried to load this Ubuntu 8.04 machine onto Proxmox 6.2

TASK ERROR: unable to create CT 106 - unsupported Ubuntu version '8.04'

How can i load this particular image onto Proxmox 6.2 please?

hi,

ubuntu 8.04 isn't supported by us anymore so you will need to set the container ostype value to unmanaged or update the container to a newer release

Reactions: Colin 't Hart
Apologies for my ignorance and thank you for your assistance

How do i set the container "ostype" to "unmanaged" within "Create CT?"
I dont see that option in the GUI, are you are suggesting a command line restore
In Proxmox 3.3 i am able to restore this machine with vzrestore (filename) (VEID) ?

Otherwise, how do i update the container to a newer release?

Apologies for my ignorance and thank you for your assistance

How do i set the container "ostype" to "unmanaged" within "Create CT?"
I dont see that option in the GUI, are you are suggesting a command line restore
In Proxmox 3.3 i am able to restore this machine with vzrestore (filename) (VEID) ?

Otherwise, how do i update the container to a newer release?

the creation wizard tries to detect it automatically, unfortunately it can't be set on the gui wizard

you can restore it via the command-line with pct restore command and manually set --ostype unmanaged

another possibility would be to edit the config in the older PVE and set ostype there, and then take a backup

Hello everyone,

Edit:
/usr/share/perl5/PVE/LXC/Setup/Debian.pm or file.pm

die "unsupported debian version '$version'\n"
- if !($version >= 4 && $version <= 9);

for

if !($version >= 4 && $version <= 9.9);
or
if !($version >= 4 && $version <= 11);

You always forget to mention that you must restart the PROXMOX server, to make it work, otherwise it is useless to modify this file and the line. Greetings.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!