TASK ERROR: Failed to retrieve backup groups from remote - authentication failed - no authentication credentials provided.

ctrlbrk

Jan 17, 2022
Hi guys,

PBS 2.1

Two servers:
remote => located at another datacenter off-site
nexus => located on-site

My goal is for our 3-node Proxmox cluster to backup to the local PBS ('nexus'), and then for 'nexus' to replicate to the remote server 'remote'.

It seems that PBS uses a "pull" method as opposed to push. Due to my setup, this means that I need to use port 443 instead of 8007 for the 'nexus' server. I tested and it works fine for me via the GUI, and it's my understanding Proxmox doesn't need additional ports (no SSH forwarding or proxy).

This is the error message I am receiving, from the remote PBS server, the sync job:

1642434796577.png

pbs-remote # proxmox-backup-manager remote show pbs-nexus ┌─────────────┬─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐ │ Name │ Value │ ╞═════════════╪═════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╡ │ name │ pbs-nexus │ ├─────────────┼─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┤ │ password │ │ ├─────────────┼─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┤ │ auth-id │ root@pam!remote │ ├─────────────┼─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┤ │ host │ x.y.z here │ ├─────────────┼─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┤ │ comment │ on-site at nexus │ ├─────────────┼─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┤ │ fingerprint │ blah:blah │ ├─────────────┼─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┤ │ port │ 443 │ └─────────────┴─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘

This is the permission tab on the datastore 'backup' on the local 'nexus' PBS server:

1642435038149.png
This is the Access Control permissions tab on the local 'nexus' PBS server:

1642435086558.png

Guys, where am I going wrong here?

It seems that PBS uses a "pull" method as opposed to push. Due to my setup, this means that I need to use port 443 instead of 8007 for the 'nexus' server. I tested and it works fine for me via the GUI, and it's my understanding Proxmox doesn't need additional ports (no SSH forwarding or proxy).
does that mean you use a proxy of some kind (or plain port redirection?). if you use a proxy, make sure the cookies/headers are all transmitted

also it seems your usernames/tokens do not match (root@pam!nexus != root@pam!remote) ?

also double check the password for the user/token

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!