[SOLVED] Tape Label TASK ERROR: media read error - read failed - do_scsi_pt failed with err EINVAL: Invalid argument

Hi there, so this is what i got here...
Code:
root@srv-backup-1:~# pmt format --drive neos-drive
using device /dev/tape/by-id/scsi-HU1140JVN4-sg

root@srv-backup-1:~# pmt rewind --drive neos-drive
using device /dev/tape/by-id/scsi-HU1140JVN4-sg

root@srv-backup-1:~# proxmox-tape scan --drive neos-drive
rewinding tape
Error: read failed - do_scsi_pt failed with err EINVAL: Invalid argument

root@srv-backup-1:~# pmt scan --output-format json-pretty
[
  {
    "kind": "tape",
    "path": "/dev/tape/by-id/scsi-HU1140JVN4-sg",
    "serial": "HU1140JVN4",
    "vendor": "HP",
    "model": "Ultrium_5-SCSI",
    "major": 21,
    "minor": 2
  }
]

root@srv-backup-1:~# proxmox-tape scan --drive neos-drive
rewinding tape
Error: read failed - do_scsi_pt failed with err EINVAL: Invalid argument

The Library and software report that the drive is idle, so I guess it is. Why is there showing up "rewinding tape"?

Last edited:
ok so that did not turn out more info...
Why is there showing up "rewinding tape"?
because we do automatically rewind the tape in the 'scan' command (i forgot)

i'll think about how we could debug this further. the drive simply returns an error as soon as we try to read from it. any chance that you can try with a different tape? a new one perhaps?

can you read/write from that drive/tape with other linux tape tools ?

For all that are suffering with the same issues: Here is what we did in order to use a Dell Poweredge R720 with a PERC H710 mini (rev D1) and a Overland Neo 400s Tapelibrary.

The Raid Controllers from Dell are not suitable to use Tape Libraries with the default firmware it is shipped with. In Order to use it, and to improve SSD Perfomance and all kind of cool features provided by modern filesystems like zfs, you have to crossflash it into the "it-mode".
The Guide provided by jon is a straight forward procedure and we were able to run it on our hardware with no problems.
https://fohdeesha.com/docs/perc.html

Then you have to use the controllers mainboard mini SAS Connector to connect it to the tape library. (We tried it with our Dell Perc H700 Adapter Card, and it is not compatible at all)

So after changing the firmware and recabeling the server, everything went like a charm.

Thanks again for your help and support @dcsapak and @dietmar !!!

Bildschirmfoto vom 2022-06-17 13-19-46.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Neobin

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!