Tape Drive firmware (hacking)

davlaw

Renowned Member
Apr 4, 2012
Guess I am missing the secret ingredient, " scsi 2:0:0:0: TLR Disabled"

In my case, trying to get more use out of some old hardware , "scsi 2:0:0:0: Sequential-Access IBM ULTRIUM-TD4 C7QH PQ: 0 ANSI: 3"

Reading IBM drives are suppose to support TLR, not sure how far back, but this drive has "dell personality"

SAS card (LSI SAS2008) and drive are suppose to be able, but guessing Dell has other ideas.

Unable to flash IBM firmware, get invalid microcode.

Just hoping someone might know a tweak to enable, hack the firmware? Its a long shot, but wanted to ask .

Thanks!

where exactly do you get an error? could you provide the complete task log?

just note that even if you get that feature to work, lto4 drives are generally not supported (best effort only)

While using ITDT, oh yes, I understand "best effort".

In pbs, works for about 90% of moving, some format / barcode. But then I guess after that it gets confused. Drive is listed, just fails.

Currently system is stock debian, just wanted to make sure there nothing else that might affect it

No worries, its not my main PBS. Just trying to squeeze a bit more out of some old hardware

BTW, thanks for your quick reply

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!