Tape backup and media sets/pools

aaronc_rae

Jul 3, 2024
I am new to proxmox and its backup system and am curious how the backup systems works with tapes.

The company I work for is a fan of WORM tapes for ransomware protection.

Currently for our physical servers, we use Veeam and it creates a full backup every month and daily incrementals that get written to tape immediately after the main job completes. 2 months fit on one LTO8 tape and occasionally a restore chain spans 2 tapes if a month ends up spanning a tape change.

I got a new LTO9 drive and added it to our proxmox setup to test out how it works.

Integration and setup was flawless and I had a job setup in minutes.

However I am curious about what is actually written to tape and if it is possible to sort of duplicate the functionality of veeam's "monthly full backup".

PBS's de-duplication is far more efficient for storing our file system data (because duplication) and I am not filling a tape in a month(or 3 or 4 or more), the "incremental" backups of proxmox seem to write just a few gigabytes/day to the tape.

To boil things down, i wan to know:
Is it possible to start a new full copy of the data store monthly to the same tape? or at the very least start a new copy of the full dataset every tape? I dont quite understand the retention and allocation policies for this purpose. I set the allocation policy to monthly and the retention to keep and it has set the tape to "full" after writing only 33% to the tape.

Thank you in advance.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!