synchronizing a non-VM ZFS volume between nodes

Oct 4, 2019
How would I go about fully synchronizing, say at a 1hr interval, one subvolume of my rpool on node1 to node2?
This subvolume does not contain any VMs, only file data created/consumed by my containers on node1 and I would just like to have a live copy of all the data on the other node.
Is there a function in the GUI to do this, or do you have to use the command line? If the latter, what would be the command and syntax? pve-zsync?

Last edited:
AFAIK no ui capability here.
My instant thought for files sync is rsync.
Could run on a scheduled basis and nothing "fancy" in terms of zfs sync needed.
My 2 cents

If you have ZFS on both sides, using ZFS' send/recv functionality is most likely the best solution. You can script something yourself or take a look at pve-zsync.

If you have ZFS on both sides, using ZFS' send/recv functionality is most likely the best solution. You can script something yourself or take a look at pve-zsync.

Ended up trying: "pve-zsync sync --source spool/filestor --dest 192.168.5.2:spool --verbose"
It did more or less exactly what I wanted it to do; created and exact copy of the volume on the other node.

What I have not figured out how to do, is set pve-zsync up to automatically sync at an intervall lesser than every 15 minutes (preferably once per hour.
The wiki page states that its possible, but then does not tell me how to modify the command to achieve it.
/etc/cron.d/pve-zsync is completely empty.

This worked well: "pve-zsync create --source spool/filestor --dest 192.168.5.2:spool --maxsnap 2 --name filestore1"
How would I modify the string to make the interval hourly, daily or weekly?

EDIT: nevermind the above. Once created, the string shows up in my pve-zsync crontab and I can modify it to my liking :)

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!