Sync jobs from different PBS

mgiammarco

Renowned Member
Feb 18, 2010
Hi,
just to be sure, if I have a big remote PBS can I do sync jobs from several PBS without mixing or destroying VMs with same ID?
Thanks,
Mario

So if I have 20 customers with each one a windows machine to backup I must create 20 datastore and I lose deduplication advantages (windows machines are very similar)

So if I have 20 customers with each one a windows machine to backup I must create 20 datastore and I lose deduplication advantages (windows machines are very similar)
it's up to you how many datastores you backup these 20 VMs to. Normally it works great to backup anything from one PVE cluster to one datastore. If your customers will have access to you backups it's probably a very good idea to keep them in one datastore each.

Hi,
just to be sure, if I have a big remote PBS can I do sync jobs from several PBS without mixing or destroying VMs with same ID?
Thanks,
Mario
Hi Mario, I don't understand what you are asking, you sync one datastore with one sync job. As far as I know, you cannot sync a whole remote. It's probably a very bad idea to mix several sync jobs into one datastore.

I rewrite this: I have one remote backup server and many clusters each with its local backup server.
Can I use only one remote for all?

Hi again!

When you mean by "Can I use only one remote for all?" only one remote server (with several datastores, one for each customer): yes.
When you mean by "Can I use only one remote for all?" only one single datastore (for all customers together) on one single remote server: (currently) no.

I understand your concern regarding the deduplication. Maybe that's another reason this is mentioned in the Roadmap already: https://pbs.proxmox.com/wiki/index.php/Roadmap ("Backup to one (physical) datastore from multiple Proxmox VE clusters, avoiding backup naming conflicts").

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!