Switch OMV from bare metal to Proxmox

delpiero3

May 17, 2020
Hello everyone,

I am coming and request some help to you because i would like to move from OMV 5 bare metal installation type to a Proxmox environment.
Currently, my setup looks like this :

- HP DL380 G7
- Dual Xeon L5640 2,26Ghz
- 24GB of RAM
- Internal P410i Raid controller with 512MB cache
- External P822 Raid controller in JBOD mode
- 4 HDD 300GB 15K SAS RAID 10 for the system
- 4 HDD 600GB 10K SAS RAID 5 for the backup of my computers (system image only)
- 12 HDD 2TB in software Raid 6 connected in a Storageworks MSA60
- A second Storageworks MSA60 with 12 HDD 2TB currently not configured

I am running OMV 5 with something like 16 containers (plex, nextcloud, letsencrypt, urbackup ...), CIFS share, UPS connected on it and monitored, no other fancy stuff.

Aside that setup, i am running an OPNSense firewall on a similar machine. And finally, for testing purpose, i also have a third similar one running a Windows 2016 for test.
When i look to that, i am wondering about the cost for electricity of course (servers are 120-140W idle according to their respective ILO measures), and efficiency (running such beast for OPNsense doesn't make .... any sense).
But rather than investing in some new hardware, i have the project to switch to Proxmox all my setup, and for example run OMV and OPNSense on one server only and can like that power off one of them, i also play as i said with a Windows 2016 server for testing, that could also run into the Proxmox.
now that you know a bit more my usage, i would like to have your opinion about the storage and the overall setup.
The storage because i read so far that Proxmox doesn't support officially software raid but ZFS, would you switch back your installation to a hardware raid, move all data from one storageworks to the second and then expand the volume with the first once the data are transferred, or would you do the same approach but making a ZFS drive ?
I am still not decided the way to go, i am also looking for performance of course, as i will switch to a 10GB network at the end or beginning of next year, so the storage has to perform well enough to sustain the bandwidth.
Regarding the containers now, i saw that Proxmox can handle them too, would you keep them in OMV (everything is already configured, i had the idea of restoring a backup of OMV while moving to Proxmox) or switch them to Proxmox ?
Basically my final goal would be :
- OPNSense with 2 of my NICS in passthrough mode (WAN and LAN)
- OMV with 1 decicated NIC in passthrough as well (for performance and to be 10GB ready when i will buy the adapter)
- any other NIC shared with other VMs

So thanks for your help, i found many post about Proxmox migration of OMV, but nothing that really match my use case.

Hello guys, no one has a small hint for me ? Is it really that i missed a similar use case in the forum that nobody replies this thread ?

The storage because i read so far that Proxmox doesn't support officially software raid but ZFS, would you switch back your installation to a hardware raid, move all data from one storageworks to the second and then expand the volume with the first once the data are transferred, or would you do the same approach but making a ZFS drive ?
ZFS is nicely integrated into Proxmox VE => I would generally recommend using it. However, using it together with a RAID controller is usually bad.

Regarding the containers now, i saw that Proxmox can handle them too, would you keep them in OMV (everything is already configured, i had the idea of restoring a backup of OMV while moving to Proxmox) or switch them to Proxmox ?
You would have less nested virtualization if you switched them to Proxmox VE.

Have you installed Proxmox VE somewhere already?

ZFS is nicely integrated into Proxmox VE => I would generally recommend using it. However, using it together with a RAID controller is usually bad.
This raid controller can be turned in JBOD mode, so that's not a problem at all i beleive. What i am unsure currently is if i should use one or the other, let's assume if i want to extend storage, with the raid controller i can expand the current volume, i guess with ZFS as well, but i am still not clearly seeing my benefits from using one or the other.

You would have less nested virtualization if you switched them to Proxmox VE.

Have you installed Proxmox VE somewhere already?
Not yet, but still i am wondering how to access the media shares from the underlying OMV VM if i manage the containers from Proxmox VE ?

but i am still not clearly seeing my benefits from using one or the other.
https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-sysadmin.html#chapter_zfs

Not yet, but still i am wondering how to access the media shares from the underlying OMV VM if i manage the containers from Proxmox VE ?
I don't know how OMV works exactly. Generally you could create some type of network share and access this from other VMs or containers. Anyway, I suggest you install Proxmox VE into a virtual machine and then create some test containers in it (=nested virtualization) to get a better idea of how you could manage the storages :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!