Swift for Proxmox backups

mlanner

Renowned Member
Apr 1, 2009
Berkeley, CA
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has tried to use Swift for Proxmox backups? I have a Swift cluster and a Proxmox cluster. If possible, I would like to run my backups to Swift's object storage instead of using more expensive block storage, which is better utilized for my VMs anyway.

If anyone has any suggestions or direct experience with Proxmox and Swift, I'd be grateful for any insights.

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

I would love to hear any update on this topic. OpenStack Swift is/will be largely used as object storage..

Hello,
Any news about this?

Because I tried with s3ql, but I prefer to have support from proxmox.

Thanks

Hi,

There was no real movement on backups and archiving into Swift that I could find. So, my team ended up building a relatively simple tool that can be used in various ways, including for Proxmox VE backups. Here's some information about "Watch Folder", written in Golang:

https://cloud.swiftstack.com/v1/AUTH_gowf/gowf-docs/index.html

GoWF still requires a file storage target, sort of used as a scratch space. However, you can then offload the backup from the file system into Swift and set up retention times for when the backup will automatically be expired (deleted) from Swift.

We use GoWF on Linux servers with NFS and/or SMB shares, as well as on FreeNAS, but also installed directly on a local server to take database backups or similar.

If you end up trying it out, I'm really interested in your feedback and any ideas you can contribute.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!