Swap behaviour on Hw ssd raid

tiberius

Nov 5, 2016
Dear all,

Since the beginning of my Proxmox time I was curious about the swap behaviour especially with non zfs setups because I really do not really get it.
I tried to change the default 60 to 5 as well as also to 0 but it seems to have no effect at all (screenshot).
swapoff -a and sysctl vm.swappiness=0 follwed by swapon -a

Does it have something to do with ksm sharing / Balloooning which I use on my guests ?

All guest are configured / calculated to not overprovisioning the host (ram).
In my case, Is it recommended to disable swap at all via swapoff -a for perf. and lifetime reasons of my ssds ?

I hope that somebody is able to clarify this - BEst & greets!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-12-11 at 16.26.28.png
    Screenshot 2020-12-11 at 16.26.28.png
    544 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
That's the default setting. Adjusting the value depends upon the hardware and workload running on it.

That's the default setting. Adjusting the value depends upon the hardware and workload running on it.
This brings me back to my first post, I changed it to diferent settings(eg 5) but I does not seem to have an effekt......

This brings me back to my first post, I changed it to diferent settings(eg 5) but I does not seem to have an effekt......
Then can I ask, did you read the article?
When talking about vm.swappiness, an extremely important change to consider from recent(ish) times is this change to vmscan by Satoru Moriya in 2012, which changes the way that vm.swappiness = 0 is handled quite significantly.
The link points to the commit explaining that setting swappiness to 0 will not prevent swapping. It just makes it least aggressive but it will still swap if needed. And in general swap is a good thing but sometimes needs some tuning.

Reactions: tiberius

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!