Suspended ZFS pool affects all other VMs on node (even if no vDisks are affected)

tburger

Oct 13, 2017
Hello all,

I have a situation here and I hope that someone can help me with this.

My setup is running 3 individual ZFS pools. All are attached locally via a SAS HBA (actually they are SATA HDDs, no Expanders).
One of those ZFS pools only holds temporary data and I couldn't care less of it. 3 of my VMs have ZVOLs on it.
My expectation is, that a ZFS pool having issues only would affect those 3 VMs (with a relationship to it).

However that is not the case.
A few days ago it seems that this ZPOOL with temporary data was suspended due to IO-Errors.
Screenshot from 2020-05-20 14-02-11.png

Some hours after the initial problem (according to the logs, 4-6 hrs later) all my VMs "crashed". They were not responsive anymore (IP-connections failed, etc...)

I have checked the console and every single VM looked like this:
Screenshot from 2020-05-20 14-02-45.png

The host itself is running fine. No problems I have recognized.
Rebooting the host (shutting the VMs via "sudo qm shutdown <id> -forceStop" first) solved all the issues and the whole system is operating normally again.

Has anyone experienced something like this or an explanation for the behavior I am seeing?
Thanks for your help all the best

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE and Proxmox Mail Gateway. We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get your own in 60 seconds.

Buy now!