Support for GIGABYTE Brix GB-BRR7H-4800

EvilBetty

Apr 2, 2021
.at
hello,

bought a GIGABYTE Brix GB-BRR7H-4800 mini pc with amd ryzen 7 4800u, RTL8125 and gpu all on 1 mini-mainboard with the hope to run pve on it.
I failed to install pve with the latest iso (proxmox-ve_6.3-1.iso) so far and would be very happy for hints on how to proceed without installing debian first.

tests so far:

1) boot from usb (proxmox-ve_6.3-1.iso): installer fails, as no driver is included for RTL8125
2 boot from usb (proxmox-ve_6.3-1.iso): attach a usb-c-to-RJ45 nic, network link detected, but installer fails => getting "(EE) Cannot run in framebuffer mode. Please specify busIDs...."
3) boot from usb (proxmox-ve_6.3-1.iso): attach a usb-c-to-RJ45 nic, go in debug mode, installed pve-kernel-5.11, continue installer with "xinit" => getting "(EE) Cannot run in framebuffer mode. Please specify busIDs...."
4) boot from usb (proxmox-ve_6.3-1.iso): attach a usb-c-to-RJ45 nic, attach 2nd usb-drive and successfull install driver for onboard nic with the help of this guide (https://github.com/dgparker/RTL8125-proxmox-ve-install-script), continue installer with "xinit" => getting "(EE) Cannot run in framebuffer mode. Please specify busIDs...."

installing the driver for the RTL8125 seems to work fine, am i missing to install a package for the gpu to be compatible for the pve installer, or something else?

cheers

i think the kernel 5.11 is the right way, but it sounds to me, like you never runned 5.11.
cause installing it in debug mode (on the iso live environment?) and running xinit, still runs 5.4.

The devs will provide at some point an textbased installer, but till then, your only way if going through the normal debian installer and converting it to proxmox afterwards.

Cheers

i think the kernel 5.11 is the right way, but it sounds to me, like you never runned 5.11.
cause installing it in debug mode (on the iso live environment?) and running xinit, still runs 5.4.
yes, still in iso live environment. thanks, this is news for me :)
The devs will provide at some point an textbased installer, but till then, your only way if going through the normal debian installer and converting it to proxmox afterwards.
would be great, textbased installer could increase compatibility of official pve-iso on fancy hardware a lot i guess.

as mentioned in another post with framebuffer-context (https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/proxmoxve-6-1-install-fails-black-screen.66345/post-310237), i'm going to try a different display and display output soon, because the display is connected via hdmi now.

cheers

Hi, sorry for bringing that old thread up again, but is it working by now?

I'm planning on buying the exact same PC for running Proxmox...

sorry for the late reply, did not look into this topic for a long time...

with latest updates (bullseye) lspci recognizes the adapter:
Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8125 2.5GbE Controller (rev 05)
uname -a
5.15.39-3-pve #2 SMP PVE 5.15.39-3 (Wed, 27 Jul 2022 13:45:39 +0200) x86_64 GNU/Linux

however i did not try to use it yet as my network is still on legacy 1Gb :/

cheers

Do not buy it, although you can install without problems and everything seems to work, this machine does not support linux and after a few hours or days it crashes completely. I think there is something badly designed or a BIOS with serious problems. I have one and I am trying to sell it....

sorry to hear that @fsc , that box is running very stable here.
Really? I have tried to install more than 10 different linux distributions and all of them end up crashing in a few days. I even wrote to Gigabyte support and they confirmed that linux was not supported, and they only supported Windows.

Do you have virtual machines with docker installed?

Is there any specific BIOS or kernel configuration to make it work or does it just work for you?

I use 64GB RAM and 1TB NVME Samsung

Right now I'm running Windows Server (I hate Windows Server) and it's stable as Gigabyte support says...

Sorry for so many questions but I would love to use Proxmox.

Hej,

I also tried to run Proxmox on a Gigabyte Extreme. However, exactly the problems that have been described here occurred. After 1-2 days Proxmox stopped running or services simply crashed.

The Brixx runs on the latest bios.

I have not found a solution yet.

Hej,

I also tried to run Proxmox on a Gigabyte Extreme. However, exactly the problems that have been described here occurred. After 1-2 days Proxmox stopped running or services simply crashed.

The Brixx runs on the latest bios.

I have not found a solution yet.

I never found a solution. The machine can only run Windows, no linux, no FreeBSD... If someone finds a solution, this is the perfect place to tell us how.

Unfortunately I think the machine has serious hardware design problems.
The response from Gigabyte support is "It can only run windows, nothing else".

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!