Supermicro x9 board recommendation.

helloha

Sep 19, 2021
Hi, I have an intel s1200bts serverboard with an E3-1220 v2.

I had a lot of issues with installing proxmox, had to jump trough alot of whoops to get things installed (ended up unsing another host system and moving the disk). (https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/r8168-installation-problems.81644/)

Now that everything is running I'm having issues with IOMMU groups and I'm unable to pass trough hardware. I have to tinker with GRUB and nothing seems to be working...

I run mostly supermicro hardware, just this one server is the exception.

Can anyone recommend an X9 supermicro board for the E3 v2 family that works out of the box? Or close to this?

thanks for any feedback!

Hi, I have an intel s1200bts serverboard with an E3-1220 v2.

I had a lot of issues with installing proxmox, had to jump trough alot of whoops to get things installed (ended up unsing another host system and moving the disk). (https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/r8168-installation-problems.81644/)

Now that everything is running I'm having issues with IOMMU groups and I'm unable to pass trough hardware. I have to tinker with GRUB and nothing seems to be working...

What kind of problems? I just installed a node on S120BTL (ahh, not quite the same board) without issues on Proxmox side. I managed to get Proxmox to install with the modern bootloader after changing some BIOS settings concerning EFI boot IIRC.

I had to do a bit of messing around with GPU-s as well, but it started working after a BIOS reset. It's a second hand motherboard, so I don't know what settings it had. I suspect it had something to do with the EFI boot settings. I'll have a look the the motherboard docs tomorrow and will try to remember chat I changed. It's running now with in integrated video and modern boot.

The only thing I couldn't find a workaround to is a 1 minute wait at boot when startup is running benchmarks to find the best algorithm for RAID6 (that I don't use).

Hello! Finally had a chance to reboot the machine. These are the settings I ended up with that allowed me to boot with integrated VGA and Proxmox installed without issues.

IMG_3601.jpg

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!