[TUTORIAL] Successful upgrade from 3.4 to 5.3

rayk_sland

Jul 30, 2009
scenario:
  • 4 proxmox 3.4 nodes with AOE shared lvm storage backend. No containers, just KVM vms.
objective:
  • upgrade cluster to 5.3
method:
  • migrate all vms off of one node
  • install new 5.3 from iso on unoccupied node. (boot off of iso. I used a burned dvd)
  • reconnect (now) 5.3 node to all shared storage. use same name for storage as before. (I've got one aoe shared storage and two nfs)
  • shutdown some vms running on a remaining 3.4 node for manual migration
  • copy vm XXX.conf files of the downed vms from /etc/pve/nodes/<3.4 NODENAME>/qemu-server/ to /etc/pve/nodes/<5.3 NODENAME>/qemu-server/ (I 'cat'ed the file on one terminal and copy/pasted into an editor on the other)
  • start the vms on the new server.
  • boot the 5.3 install iso on the next unoccupied node
  • reconnect it to all shared storage
  • create cluster (use the first node. clusters object to joining nodes with vms already on them. I didn't. I had to shutdown vms, backup the XXX.conf files on the first node and copy them back after joining the cluster)
  • manually migrate more vms off the next node to be upgraded.
  • proceed till whole cluster is upgraded
comments:
  • I found this way easier than upgrading the OS with apt-get. I was able to jump two major versions ahead without much fuss
  • Obviously containers would have made this much more complicated
  • Maybe lvm storage was a factor in how easy this was. Maybe not.
  • obviously there is risk that some bozo will restart vms on the un-upgraded nodes. Thankfully we are a very small shop and nobody will do that.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!