[SOLVED] stuck deleted disk

NevadaTech

Nov 29, 2021
Hello,
I'm completely new to Promox so please bear that in mind.

The system in testing mode as I come up to speed on how to manage things. One exercise has left me with a virtual disk listed/used that I no longer need. My process was to build a W2K19 server following the 'best practices' instructions. The OS installed fine and I updated the OS on C: (200GB). After that seemed solid I added a new E: disk of 100GB, first through Proxmox then through Windows> Disk Management. Everything seemed fine, I formatted the drive and it appeared in Windows. Next I added 20GB, again, first via Proxmox, then through Disk Management I extended the drive. Again everything seemed fine. Next was to add a couple more drives F: G: to match my test plan. In Disk Management I set drive E: to offline and detached the drive. From the VM's config I deleted the 120GB drive. I then added in a new E: drive of 100GB. Everything in Windows appears fine, I see all 4 drives. When I was looking at the datastore (via Proxmox) of all virtual drives I see 5 drives. One of them appears to be the original 100GB that was expanded to 120GB.

With all of that, I'm not sure how to get rid of the drive. I thought it would delete when I removed the drive from the VM config. A reboot of W2K19 didn't release it. A reboot of Promox didn't release it. Did I miss a step in the delete process? Am I supposed to delete it manually, and if so, how? Is this 'fail safely' by design?

Setup
Proxmox 7.0.8
Asrock X470D4U
Ryzen 3700x
32GB ECC
storage is (2) 2TB SSD in RAID1 with ZFS on mobo SATA ports

Thanks for reading,
Rich.

hi,

With all of that, I'm not sure how to get rid of the drive. I thought it would delete when I removed the drive from the VM config. A reboot of W2K19 didn't release it. A reboot of Promox didn't release it. Did I miss a step in the delete process? Am I supposed to delete it manually, and if so, how? Is this 'fail safely' by design?
how did you remove the drive from the VM config? if you just manually deleted it from the config file then the disk won't be deleted.

when you want to remove a disk from a VM, normally you can just "Detach" first, which will mark the disk as "unused". if you click it again and select "Remove" it will remove the disk.

if the above solution doesn't work for you post your VM configuration: qm config VMID

hope this helps!

Blah - I missed that. The disk was listed at the bottom as (in my case) as Unused Disk 0 ds03:vm-201-disk-2 And you are correct, in Proxmox's VM config I chose Detach but did not Remove. I love an easy fix - thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!