[SOLVED] Struggling with firewall and routing

Jul 4, 2023
Hello,
First of all I apologize for my lack of skill and knowledge about networking but I started this proxmox project precisely to improve my skills AND to migrate all my services which are currently running on two old laptops.

I just installed my first proxmox instance and I'm struggling with routing.

This is my setup:
- A domestic ISP router with integrated firewall and switch
- My proxmox host directly connected to the router with datacenter and node firewalls' enabled
- An LXC container on which I installed nginx, firewall enabled
- Standard out-of-the-box internal network configuration with both the node and the vms/cts talking on vmbr0

As soon as I installed and configured the LXC container it popped up on my router control panel as expected and i proceeded to forward ports 443 and 80 to the container's IP. I've already configured DNS records on my domain provider and as soon as i typed the assigned FQDN i could reach the nginx webserver (but just on port 80).

I then proceeded to enable proxmox's internal firewall (datacenter > node > lxc) with this config:
Direction: in
Action: ACCEPT
Interface: vmbr0
Destination: lxc's ip
Protocol: tcp
Source port: 443 (and, obviously, same configuration for port 80)

Now I can't reach the webserver anymore.

Also one red flag that's making me think I am doing something deeply wrong is that the first time I create a firewall rule it gets applied with no problems but as soon as I re-open it and edit it I get this warning - dest: invalid ipset name '+undefined/undefined' - until I delete and re-write the lxc's IP in the destination field.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance to whoever is willing to help me!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!