strange network issues

Riddleuk

Jul 9, 2021
Morning i been up for 24hrs now trying to work this out

i have 6 intel network ports they all work apart from in proxmox i am new and installed version 7 yesterday.

ifconfig doesnt work in cmd slo its been fun and games.

i have the install able to see the network and able to update however no matter what i try i cannot get any VMS i create to have a network connection.

I have enabled vlan aware set an id when creating the vm

i tried adding all the adaptors to a pool then i get no network in proxmox i really feel at my wits end with this i understand it supposed to be hard to prevent people messing with the config, however this is confusing as i cant even get a tinycore vm to connect to the internet.
Typically in hyper v i would just create the virtual adaptor and use that and i have tried it this way in proxmox and this build was supposed to be proof of concept for all the editors to sync with work its not been going well lol i am in good spirits still

the intention was to have at each editors house

pfsense as the firewall in a VM
Ubuntu server for transcoding / postgres database in a vm ( with a wordpress for the ticket system)
OPen Media Vault as the Local Nas as some of the files are 200gb

my interfaces config looks like

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto enp5s0f1
iface enp5s0f1 inet manual

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet manual

iface enp4s0f0 inet manual

iface enp4s0f1 inet manual

iface eno1 inet manual

iface eth5 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 10.255.192.51/24
gateway 10.255.192.1
bridge-ports enp5s0f1 enp5s0f0
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0
bridge-vlan-aware yes
bridge-vids 2-4094

iface wlp9s0 inet manual << wifi pci card it was the intention to passthis through to pfsense as a second wan thats on mobile as a fail over or load balance

I have tried youtube lol they always skip a few bits

I have tried reading through the forums and google but everything i try just results in the web gui not coming back up then i have to use the machine locally to remove bits i tried each time.

the Ethernet ports are all intel
82579LM - onboard
82574L - onboard

PRO/1000 PT QUAD PORT

I have learnt loads but i just cannot get the networking side of proxmox to work.

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 10.255.192.51/24
gateway 10.255.192.1
bridge-ports enp5s0f1 enp5s0f0
You are bridging 2 NICs and tell Proxmox to get a IP on that. Maybe Proxmox gets confused because you tell it to use the same IP on both bridged interfaces. Proxmox only should have one IP in every subnet and only using 1 NIC per subnet.

Try it with a own bridge for each NIC if you don't like to use LACP bonding or working with different subnets.

Last edited:
I tried removing the second id in the bridge. So only enp5s0f1

Made vlan aware tried a VM and nothing.

I wanted to use bonding but then I get no network at all on proxmox.

I know it's something simple I am missing as the whole point of proxmox is to create VMS and have them just work.

Tried creating a new bridge. On enp5s0f0 gave it a different IP but it won't allow me to use the gateway of 10.255.192.1.

Fired up a VM and no network still.

You can only use one gateway per host.
And if you give your host 2 IPs these need to be in different subnets not in the same one (so no two IPs like 10.255.192.X/24).

Maybe you should explain us what exaclty you want to achieve. How the physical network should look like. What VLANs should be used. How your VMs should use the network. Why you need 6 NICs at all and so on.
A network map would be useful too.

Last edited:
Ok removed the vlan I'd and I got mint VM working on 10.255.192.52.

So proxmox can't assign new ips like hyper v can on a adaptor.

Umm

So I am going to have to manually create 1 NIC port to 1 VM ?

Ok removed the vlan I'd and I got mint VM working on 10.255.192.52.

So proxmox can't assign new ips like hyper v can on a adaptor.

Umm

So I am going to have to manually create 1 NIC port to 1 VM ?
VMs aren't using physical NICs directly. They use virtual NICs that are attached to a bridge that is attached to a pyhsical NIC. If you want to directly use a physical NIC inside a VM you need to use PCI passthrough.
Or create one bridge for every physical NIC and assign your virtual NICs to the bridge whose physical NIC you want to use.

Last edited:
Did you tried something like this?

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto enp5s0f1
iface enp5s0f1 inet manual

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet manual

iface enp4s0f0 inet manual

iface enp4s0f1 inet manual

iface eno1 inet manual

iface eth5 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 10.255.192.51/24
gateway 10.255.192.1
bridge-ports enp5s0f1
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0
bridge-vlan-aware yes
bridge-vids 2-4094

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
bridge-ports eth0
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0
bridge-vlan-aware yes
bridge-vids 2-4094

auto vmbr2
iface vmbr2 inet manual
bridge-ports enp4s0f0
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0
bridge-vlan-aware yes
bridge-vids 2-4094

auto vmbr3
iface vmbr3 inet manual
bridge-ports enp4s0f1
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0
bridge-vlan-aware yes
bridge-vids 2-4094

auto vmbr4
iface vmbr4 inet manual
bridge-ports eno1
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0
bridge-vlan-aware yes
bridge-vids 2-4094

auto vmbr5
iface vmbr5 inet manual
bridge-ports eth5
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0
bridge-vlan-aware yes
bridge-vids 2-4094

That way each VM should be able to use each NIC (depending on which bridge you assign your virtual NIC to) and your host should be assessible through the NIC enp5s0f1 only.

I will try that in a min as the secondary NIC with IP 10.255.192.52. Is working on a VM where I manually set the IP to 10.255.192.53.

enp5s0f1 has been set to vmbr1.

So it's like proxmox needs a dedicated port for itself.

I. Dreading literally dreading the pfsense test

Just as a seperate post thank you for helping me. I really appreciate your time.

Just sorry I don't fully understand everything.

I wish schools would use Debian based systems for kids. Because its a whole other ball game than windows with its fancy library's

Ok it's sort of working

I set the IP to 10.255.192.54. Open media vault says it's on a different range 192.168 but the web UI is working on 10.255.192.54.

So for my future reference. And one thing I did differently

I used VMware vmxnet3 on the network config rather than the default virtio paravortualized

Attachments

• PXL_20210710_101837140.MP-picsay.jpg
    PXL_20210710_101837140.MP-picsay.jpg
    397.2 KB · Views: 4

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!