Strange connectivity issue

macson

Jul 16, 2023
I've been spending some time playing with an old desktop computer and have manged to install Proxmox 8.0.3 and get things working.

I can connect to the web UI and also SSH to the machine, I have also managed to upload a ISO and create a VM.

My problem is that every now and then the WebUI loses connection to the machine and at the same time the SSH-connection is dropped. The machine responds to ping-requests to the IP and I can SSH to the VM that is running. After a while (could be 1-15 minutes) the web-UI and SSH-connection to the host machine starts to work again, then it goes around like this.

I've setup the IP for the machine to be a static IP in my router (based on the MAC) and the same IP is configured in /etc/network/interfaces. I have some Linux skills but far from expert.

Anyone knows where I should start investigating?

Anyone knows where I should start investigating?
Have a look at the syslog/journald what logs were reported when the node was unavailable. A look at the resource graphs also wouldn't hurt.
Assigning too much resources to your VM could also cause PVE to not respond.

Turns out that my problem was that I've entered a static IP while my router wanted to use DHCP, I've configured the router to give out a "fixed" IP to this machine but still had problems. After fiddling with /etc/network/interfaces and changed to use the IP from DHCP (which I know is always the same anyway) this works great.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!