strange CIFS behavior in syslog on backup

tobywhiting10

Jan 15, 2022
UK
tobywhiting10.com
hello

OK so quick back story.
I ordered some new hard drives for my proxmox server, so I am going to reinstall proxmox on the new hard drives and then restore from proxmox backup server to get back to working order.

I already have proxmox backup server configured and running on a separate device that is all working fine.

however to prevent a single point of failure, I I'm also trying to run a second backup onto an external hard drive being broadcasted over the network via a laptop.

I have the external hard drive connect to an old laptop and then shared through windows over the network. i added this as a usable backup drive in proxmox through CIFS. I started running the backup and all went fine however I am getting this strange behavior in the Syslog and the backup seems to have started hanging (see image below).

syslog:
1642249528637.png
(the visible IP address is the laptop) - it constantly repeats this pattern or so it appears

backup status:
1642249562942.png
the first VM went fine however it has been hanging on 2% for a long time now
I have not cancelled the backup as it appears to still be running, as in windows task manerger I can see the external hard drive is being used over the network.

Would just like to know if this is behaviour is normal or something I should have to fix. it is not the fastest external hard drive so I fully expect it to take quite a long time.
would just like some more information on what is going on here.

thanks toby

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!