Strange behaviour of vlan networks

Bacchus

Dec 17, 2014
Hi community,

As we actually switch from Proxmox 3.4 to 4.1 I found some strange behaviour with vlan setup.
- all containers at one node don't have any issues
- containers at different nodes can ping each other but nothing else (ssh, ftp, mysql, ...)
I tried different setups as we have bonded interfaces (active-backup mode):
bond0 (eth0/eth1) with bond0.101, bond0.104, bond0.105, ...
bond0 (eth0.101/eth1.101), bond1 (eth0.104/eth1.104), ...
Using vlan_raw_device or not doesn't make a difference.

Firewall is off

Any suggestions?

Hi
Did you check first in that the VLANs are working properly between Containers without bonding ?

Can you show us your /etc/network/interfaces file?
Also are you trying to route between different VLANs?

Hi there and thank you for your replies.

I did lot of tests and all is now working properly. Setups with/without bonding, different types of binding the vlan to the interfaces, setting up the vmbr with/without IP-adresses, vlan prpertes of the switches, ...

At least it was the combination of proxmox vlan setup, the new redundant Alcatel switches and some issues with the behaviour of proxmox when configuring /etc/network/interfaces. Another problem was, that some nodes have been upgraded from PVE 3.4 and some nodes have been newly installed.

Managing network interfaces with the GUI sometimes doesn't work properly. What happened to me:
- deleted interfaces sometimes remain in /etc/network/interfaces
- new added interfaces have been correctly setup in /etc/network/interfaces but don't come up after reboot. Manually bringing up does not work - "service networking restart" and/or "ifup eth1" does not work. In these cases I had to delete the interface and re-add it again.

As the result in future I'll control /etc/network/interfaces by hand after reboot.

Thanks,
Bacchus,

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!