Storage Thin Provisioning

zhoid

Sep 4, 2019
Hi,

We have a Proxmox cluster setup connected to a SAN.

We have chosen to use the qcow2 disk format for our VM workloads to suppose thin provisioning.

I have 48 Linux VM's , 46 VM's exactly the same OS and running the same application, using +- 6GB including OS. 1 x 150Gb Linux VM using +- 20Gb including OS and 1 x 50Gb VM using +- 10Gb space including OS

When looking at the storage summary on my NFS mount I am using 1.08Tb which makes sense taken into consideration 20Gb * 46 + 150Gb + 20Gb but I know I am actually using much less than that.

Howcome the full allocated disk space is being used/allocated ?

Thanks

Zaid

Maybe your SANs filesystem doesn't support hole-punching needed for qcow2 and thin provisioning?

Maybe your SANs filesystem doesn't support hole-punching needed for qcow2 and thin provisioning?
The SAN does support thin prov.

Some qcow2 files show

root@pve-215:/mnt/pve/nfsproxmox_customers02/images/943# qemu-img info vm-943-disk-0.qcow2
image: vm-943-disk-0.qcow2
file format: qcow2
virtual size: 20 GiB (21474836480 bytes)
disk size: 20 GiB

cluster_size: 65536
Format specific information:
compat: 1.1
compression type: zlib
lazy refcounts: false
refcount bits: 16
corrupt: false
extended l2: false

Different mount point , different VM

root@pve-215:/mnt/pve/pvs-fs-06/images/306# qemu-img info vm-306-disk-0.qcow2
image: vm-306-disk-0.qcow2
file format: qcow2
virtual size: 50 GiB (53687091200 bytes)
disk size: 2.06 GiB
cluster_size: 65536

Format specific information:
compat: 1.1
compression type: zlib
lazy refcounts: false
refcount bits: 16
corrupt: false
extended l2: false

I even migrated VMID 943 to pvs-fs-06 disk size still shows 20Gb even though it's only using 6Gb.

Tried both NFSv3 and NFSv4 does not make a different, basically some VM's disk space are being thin provisioned and others are not.

Did you try to run a fstrim -a inside VM 943 to force freeing up space by doing a manual trim?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!