Storage recommendation

romor

Mar 1, 2024
Hi,

please, can you recommend some new storage for me for work with proxmox?
We have now DELL ESX hosts with only two drives for OS, for data we have sepparate storage via fibre channel.
Now we want to try, but i want to know, what kind of storage can i use for best performance.
We need allflash storage with cca 40TB of size, dual controller.
But what can we use? Fibre channel somehow or on 10Gbps ethernet?
We can't use Ceph on hosts, because of lack of storage controller on hosts.
Thanks for all advice.

Hi @romor , welcome to the forum.

Since you have excluded hyperconverged option, your primary choice is FC, iSCSi or NVMe/TCP external storage.
While big vendors will certainly sell you FC storage, it's, arguably, not the best investment in 2024.
NVMe disks are now price-point competitive and provide superior performance to SATA or SAS SSD.

Proxmox supports, all 3 protocols natively, as it's based on Linux. However, there are some limitations that you have to contend with. The main one is Snapshot support.

You may want to look at one of the platforms listed on our website for an example of dual controller, no single point of failure, all-nvme systems with native Proxmox support, including snapshots.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Reactions: justinclift
Hi @romor , welcome to the forum.

Since you have excluded hyperconverged option, your primary choice is FC, iSCSi or NVMe/TCP external storage.
While big vendors will certainly sell you FC storage, it's, arguably, not the best investment in 2024.
NVMe disks are now price-point competitive and provide superior performance to SATA or SAS SSD.

Proxmox supports, all 3 protocols natively, as it's based on Linux. However, there are some limitations that you have to contend with. The main one is Snapshot support.

You may want to look at one of the platforms listed on our website for an example of dual controller, no single point of failure, all-nvme systems with native Proxmox support, including snapshots.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox
Hi,

your solution is so nice and beautifull, but pricing is brutal against normal SAN.
We have some offer from you, but price is so high..

Because difference between SAN and your solution can cover licence payment for VMWare :) Which is reason, why we want to use Proxmox.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi @romor , Thank you for kind words! I understand your challenge.

In that case, to receive a more targeted advice from the community you may want to specify:

- your budget and location
- your specific performance requirements (latency, IOPS, bandwidth)
- your environment specs (speeds and feeds)
- number of hosts you have now vs expansion (which could eliminate direct-connect offerings)
- your feature requirements (thin provisioning, snapshots, replication, etc)
- your need for direct vendor support vs self-support capabilities (both PVE and storage)

Without those specifics "best performance" is really a subjective goal.

Good luck in your search!

Last edited:
Hi, i know, that time is changed..
  • Budged: aprox. 40000€
  • We want allflash storage for proxmox - we have standard IOPS 10-15000, in peaks during backups 60000.
  • Our env. are 12x DELL servers (conn. 2x 16Gbps FC, 4x 10Gbps eth. SFP+)
  • We want to use snapshots, live migration.
  • We want 24/7 support 4 hours support.
I know, hard topic...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!