Storage 'Buffer' does not exist

SawKyrom

Jun 3, 2021
Attempting to remove (i.e. destroy) container in pve 6.4-13 and receive Error: storage 'Buffer' does not exist. Container not running and attempted the following at CLI:

root@proxmox:~# pct unmount 204 root@proxmox:~# pct destroy 204 -force -destroy-unreferenced-disks -purge storage 'Buffer' does not exist root@proxmox:~# pct fsck 204 fsck from util-linux 2.33.1 fsck.ext2: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/pve/vm-204-disk-0 Possibly non-existent device? command 'fsck -a -l /dev/pve/vm-204-disk-0' failed: exit code 8

Container still listed in GUI. Forum search for Storage Buffer error reveals no topics.

Still don't know what the 'Buffer' error means and why the CT would not be removed with the referenced commands, however removing the /etc/pve/lxc conf file in CLI did the trick at destroying the container from GUI.

Code:
cd /etc/pve/lxc
ls
rm <lxcid>.conf

Hope this helps someone else.

Still don't know what the 'Buffer' error means
Some time ago you had a storage with the ID Buffer, and the container referred to a disk volume on such a storage. But as the storage did not exist anymore on that PVE host you got above error.

Reactions: SawKyrom
Hi, using this thread as it fits to my issue.
I had USB disk mounted to a lxc and that disk broke. I could remove everything in the GUI except the "unused" disk in the ressources of the lxc. In the cfg file it also states "pending" --> delete unused0 but I assume it cant delete it because it is not there.
Is it enough to delete the line of unused0 in the cfg file of the lxc?
Thanks for any answers already
Florian

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!