stonith / fencing for guest VMs

xtavras

Renowned Member
Jun 29, 2015
Berlin
Hi guys,

we are running few pacemaker cluster setups in our VMs (KVM), the problem is, sometimes resource migration doesn't work if a node is in undefined state, stonith (kill the VM) could resolve this problem, unfortunately I can't find any info if it possible with Proxmox. I know pacemaker's stonith works fine with libvirt, but Proxmox doesn't use it, so is there maybe another ways to achieve that?

Best,
Stan

Hi Stan,

Have a look at fence_pve, maybe it's exactly what you're looking for. I used it to fence my virtual test proxmox cluster inside my proxmox cluster.

Best,
LnxBil

Hello.

If you have your own Pacemacer cluster on top of PVE then PVE's HA stack doens't matter for that purpose. You sure can use pacemakers stonith fencing, best would be to set up the pve fence agent it can fence vm's in a PVE cluster.

Although the current fence_pve agent may be broken, we corrected and pushed to upstream only a few days ago (look here). (Older versions of the fence agents are fine). But I can help you to fix the agent if needed, it's not much to do.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!