[SOLVED] Starting VM kills vmbr

rnbiii

Aug 1, 2022
Hello,

I have a problem I have not been able to solve. I have a 10G interface to my Proxmox node with two vlans - (10 - servers, 13 - lab) and when I create and then start a VM with the appropriate VM it kills the nodes vmbr.

eno1 - interface used for management. VLAN 5 - 10.1.5.170. Works great.
enp134s0 - 10G interface w VLAN 10 & 13. > vmbr0 (VLAN aware bridge) > vmbr0.10 (Node interface for VLAN 10) & vmbr0.13 (Node interface for VLAN 13)

example: If I create a VM utilizing vmbr0 with VLAN 10 - vmbr0.10 stops working until node reboot. Same thing happens for VMs on 13.

I could use some advice. Thank You.

- Rich B

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback

auto eno1

iface eno1 inet static

address 10.1.5.170/24

gateway 10.1.5.1

post-up echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

post-up echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eno1/proxy_arp

iface eno2 inet manual

iface enp134s0 inet manual

auto vmbr0

iface vmbr0 inet manual

bridge-ports enp134s0

bridge-stp off

bridge-fd 0

bridge-VLAN-aware yes

auto vmbr0.10

iface vmbr0.10 inet static

address 10.1.10.50/24

gateway 10.1.10.1

auto vmbr0.13

iface vmbr0.13 inet static

address 10.1.13.2/24

gateway 10.1.13.1

Topology Proxmox.jpg

Not sure that Proxmox can deal with that many gateways. The gui will not allow you to set more than one. seems you are using 10.1.5.170 as the management address?

first glance response, if you want to keep a proxmox IP on both vlan10 (10.1.10.50) and vlan13 (10.1.13.2) you can just remove the gateways. and see how things work for vm‘s then.

when you create a VM do you use vmbr0.10 or vmbr0.13? Or do you use vmbr0 then set the vlan in the proxmox/VM network settings?

I pulled of the gateways on vmbr0.10 and removed vmbr0.13 for now (simplifying problem). When creating a VM I use vmbr0 and set the VVLAN in the VM network settings. vmbr0.10 is just meant for the node to have access to the VLAN 10 (where my storage server exists).

Problem still happens.

I appreciate your perspective.

Well I got where I wanted to go, but didn't really figure out what I wanted to.

I wanted to figure out how to use a trunk to provide multiple VLANs to the proxmox node for storage access.

What I did was change the trunk interface on the switch to an untagged interface with 1 VLAN. I IPd the virtual bridge, removing VLAN Aware and the VLAN IDs.

Now the interface stays up when I create VMs. I will use my last 1gb interface for the other VLAN.

Thank you.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!