[SOLVED] Start from zfs replica

n0x0n

Jan 20, 2022
Hi, messed up a container on node A of my clustered environment. I have a backup from Friday and the container is replicated every 15 mins. I immediately stopped the replication, so the replica on node B is in the desired state. I'd prefer to not lose today's work and use the replica instead of restoring from backup.

Following "Migrating a guest in case of error", I moved the config file to a node having the "good" replica and started the container there. This seems to have the desired outcome, so far, so good.

Anything I need to do or check before re-enabling replication for this container? Will the "older" replica on node B overwrite the "newer" one on node A?

Hi,
first of all, I suggest to create an additional backup of the current state after you migrated the guest. Then check the target for your storage replication task, you will probably need to update that.

Thank you!

Edit for reference in case someone checks here later: The target was correctly changed to the cluster partner. All I needed to do was turn replication back on. On the shell of node B, I could see a new ZFS snapshot being created. This was then replicated normally to the cluster partner.

On node B, the older snapshot I started from still existed, but was quickly deleted by proxmox (assumption: after the replication of the new snapshot was received from node A).

Reactions: Chris

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!