SSL certificate hassle with VNC

ph0x

Renowned Member
Jul 5, 2020
/dev/null
Hallo!
Inspired by another post, I learned that usually VNC connections to VMs on other nodes are supposed to work.
But for me, they don't. So I tried to dig into that and it's probably related to my self-signed certificates.
Unfortunately, neither of the tutorials I found, were able to solve the problem.
Here's the situation:
I have my own CA and uploaded custom certificates to each node. There's additionally an nginx running on each node which checks for user certificate and validates it against my CA.
VNC connections to VMs on other nodes fail.
Now I copied my CA cert to pve-root-ca.pem and my custom certs and keys to pve-ssl.pem/key and restarted pveproxy and pvedaemon.
My certs show up correctly under Datacenter -> $node -> System -> Certificates but VNC connections still fail, regardless if I go through nginx or not.

What else am I missing? Do I maybe have to add the other two node names to the certificates?

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!