SSL certificate got truncated

VTOLfreak

Nov 14, 2017
I use a wildcard certificate for my domain and it was due for renewal. I used the "Upload custom certificate" button in the web GUI and did a copy/paste for my new certificate and all the intermediate certs. Then the web GUI went dead with a PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR message. I SSH'd into the machine and found that /etc/pve/local/pve-proxy-ssl.pem was truncated. Only half of my certificate was in there.

After manually putting the entire cert and restarting pveproxy, the web GUI was back. Anyone else have this problem?

hi,

After manually putting the entire cert and restarting pveproxy, the web GUI was back. Anyone else have this problem?
haven't heard of any reports like this. if you can reproduce the issue again please post the exact steps here :)

on a hunch it might have been a copy/paste issue though :)

I am running into the same situation. I had this with two different machines, one just a few minutes ago.

One the first one, I copied a Lets Encrypt Certificate and Key into the text fields, after reloading the GUI I got the PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR SSL error, too. I tried to fix the certificate manually but decided to setup the machine again as this was a new installation. That was some days ago, I don't recall all details but I guess it's the latest Proxmox release.
The second host is the local network, and reissued certificates to replace one that expired yesterday. Upon reloading the page, the same error was displayed. As I copied the certificate text in the text box I am sure it was not an empty file.

Last edited:
I pasted the certificate chain in the text box (inlcluding the CA cert), after removing everything except the server certificate from the file, the error is gone.

Last edited:
Reactions: oguz

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!