SSH to VM and multiple NICS.

George Marr

Jan 16, 2020
Admittedly a newb with VM’s but how can I ssh to a proxmox VM? The console lacks cut and paste and is slow. For that matter how does proxmox handle multiple VM’s at one IP? Assuming my mail server is in a VM will I use the promox IP address as my MX record? Makes me wonder how it differentiates incoming traffic. For that matter my server has four nics. Can I assign a NIC to a VM and configure it with a static IP?

Hi
For that matter how does proxmox handle multiple VM’s at one IP?
You have to take care of itself.
You can use NAT for this.
For that matter my server has four nics. Can I assign a NIC to a VM and configure it with a static IP?
Yes, you can, but this is not the problem here.
Do you have more than one public IP address?
Because internal IP addresses can't be used for the external mail server.

If you have more than one public IP address, it depends on your provider on how to use them.
When you can provide this information, we can tell you how to configure the Proxmox VE network.

I have more than one public IP so the mailserver VM could use one and PVE another. Then I could also use ssh to connect to the mailserver instead of using the PVE console. I'm guessing I just need to configure the static IP network settings on the mailserver VM?

You can try if you can use the IP direct in the VM.
The question is how the routing is implemented.
But like I said before, it depends on your Provider how it correctly works.

As you have probably found out by now, you use NAT if you want to share a single IP and translate based on ports to various different private addresses, this is usually done between publicly routable IP addresses and RFC1918 private address space.

Otherwise you can bridge straight onto the physical network and assign VM's IP's out of your usual range like you would physical machines on the network.

Reactions: psionic

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!