[SOLVED] SSH server restart needed after package upgrades

keeka

Dec 8, 2019
On my PMG (Proxmox LXC) installation, I am often (possibly always) unable to login via ssh after applying updates apt dist-upgrade.
The message I see on the remote client is:
Bash:
ssh root@smtp
kex_exchange_identification: read: Connection reset by peer

After restarting ssh via the web UI, all is well. I initially put this down to updates to encryption libraries but it seems to happen after any package upgrade.

I don't recall encountering this problem with other linux installations, including PVE.

EDIT: journal on PMG host shows: fatal: Missing privilege separation directory: /run/sshd

Last edited:
I just ran a package upgrade (libpve-http-server-perl) and /run/sshd got deleted.
No other files or dirs under /run or existing ssh sessions are affected. However I need to restart sshd in order for /run/sshd to get (re)created and for new ssh logins to succeed.
This is not something I have encountered before and not sure where to look for the link between apt upgrades and sshd interference.

Last edited:
On my PMG (Proxmox LXC) installation, I am often (possibly always) unable to login via ssh after applying updates apt dist-upgrade.
The message I see on the remote client is:
Cannot reproduce the issue here

* do you have any custom configuration in /etc/apt by any chance?
* unconditionally removing `/run` is nothing that should be done (and libpve-http-server-perl maintainer scripts do not do it)

I hope this helps!

Reactions: keeka
* do you have any custom configuration in /etc/apt by any chance?
Thanks that was it! I had (what I thought was a commented-out) custom file in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d.
I'd commented the contents using '#'. I changed these to '//'. Issue resolved, I think.

Some things I have noticed, that have surprised me, whilst looking in to this (this is with a working ssh server in the container):
  • /run/sshd is not created until there has been at least one ssh login following boot.
  • there appears to be no sshd listening/master process.
  • systemctl status ssh shows service inactive, even with an active ssh session running.
This isn't how I remember sshd working in the past. PMG is running in a CT using the Proxmox provided PMG template.

Some things I have noticed, that have surprised me, whilst looking in to this (this is with a working ssh server in the container):
  • /run/sshd is not created until there has been at least one ssh login following boot.
  • there appears to be no sshd listening/master process.
  • systemctl status ssh shows service inactive, even with an active ssh session running.
This is due to socket-activation for ssh being active in the container (I'll ask around if this was intentional) - the details are quite well explained in:
/usr/share/doc/openssh-server/README.Debian.gz (search for systemd)
(this also describes how to disable it if you like - just run systemctl disable ssh.socket) (haven't tried that one myself though - so it's only based on the docs)

I hope this explains it!

Thanks that was it! I had (what I thought was a commented-out) custom file in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d.
could I ask which file this was? and what it's purpose was? (wiping /run does not sound like a good idea)

I did not lose the entire contents of /run but, post package upgrade, /run/sshd was either deleted or failed to initialise.
The apt customisation I'd attempted, & since abandoned, was to diff files I'd created in /etc/pmg/templates/ with their counterparts in /var/lib/pmg/templates. Whilst it ran successfully standalone, I could not integrate with apt/dpkg. I then believe I incorrectly commented out the line. I have since removed it entirely. This is what I had:
/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/99custom:
Code:
DPkg::Post-Invoke { "/usr/local/bin/pmg_template_diff.sh"; };
/usr/local/bin/pmg_template_diff.sh:
Bash:
#!/bin/env bash
TEMPLATE_DIR=/etc/pmg/templates
TEMPLATE_SYS_DIR=/var/lib/pmg/templates
for p in `find $TEMPLATE_DIR/ -type f -regex '.*\.\(in\|tt\)$'`; do
    echo $p
    diff $p $TEMPLATE_SYS_DIR/$(basename $p)
done
I have just tried quickly restoring a copy of the container from backup, but cannot replicate the problem.
I am fairly certain though the ssh issue arose after running package upgrades.

This is due to socket-activation for ssh being active in the container (I'll ask around if this was intentional) - the details are quite well explained in:
/usr/share/doc/openssh-server/README.Debian.gz (search for systemd)
(this also describes how to disable it if you like - just run systemctl disable ssh.socket) (haven't tried that one myself though - so it's only based on the docs)
I was aware of xinetd/inetd but had not realised systemd had this super server functionality. It really does do everything, as claimed ;-)

The apt customisation I'd attempted, & since abandoned, was to diff files I'd created in /etc/pmg/templates/ with their counterparts in /var/lib/pmg/templates.
this is already done through ucf (since pmg 6.1 or 6.2)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!