SSD Wear Level algorithm

Cha0s

Feb 9, 2018
Hello,

Does anyone know how does Proxmox calculates the SSD Wear Level?

I've noticed that it doesn't show the wear level for all disks depending on the manufacturer.

I've got a lot of Micron and HP (Micron rebranded/reflashed) that while in HP's iLO show the wear level, PVE does not.
On the other hand, with some regular samsung SSDs, it properly shows the wear level for those.

And in another instance I've noticed with some samsung NVMe drives that the wear level reached 9% at some point and then it zeroed itself, then it got to 6% den it zeroed out again and so on and so forth.

So my question would be, what does Proxmox check exactly to calculate the wear level?

hi,

it just checks the smartctl values from this command: smartctl -H -A -f brief /path/to/drive and parses the output

Also, while we are at it, when does proxmox consider the smart status "Not passed" ?

I've got drives with reallocated sectors, offline uncorrectable and smart self test with LBA errors, and proxmox still shows this drive as SMART: PASSED

Which values does it check? Not all drives return the same results/attributes.
different types are parsed accordingly.
you can find the perl code here[0], function get_smart_data

Also, while we are at it, when does proxmox consider the smart status "Not passed" ?

I've got drives with reallocated sectors, offline uncorrectable and smart self test with LBA errors, and proxmox still shows this drive as SMART: PASSED

do you see PASSED as well when you run the smart command?
(PVE doesn't evaluate anything about the health of the disk and relies on smartmontools to do that)

[0]: https://git.proxmox.com/?p=pve-stor...9d93038cf470fe45ba1c7168c8d0f40a5;hb=HEAD#l76

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!