SSD performance in VM

Bestbeast

Jul 29, 2016
Hello guys,

Just quick question, I have been reading around that I could obtain good speed performance if I used raw formats for my VMs, but also read that now, with LVM-thin, I get the 2 good things of both worlds, which means, snapshots and performance.
I have been checking that, and it seems that my NVME that has a speed of 3000/3000 is only able to achieve like half of it on a Windows 10 VM. Do you suggest any change or what can be happening?

Kind regards

hi,

do you have ssd emulation enabled for the vm disk?

Hi,

Yes, I also checked that box in the hard drive options to check if it was gonna make any difference, and it didn't.

Also do not know if device administrator, should show any difference once that box was ticked, as the hard drive was still showing as Qemu drive.

Kind regards

well, in my case I am using ext4 I think, though it shouldn't really matter as I guess it should perform the same as in my other tests

Also do not know if device administrator, should show any difference once that box was ticked, as the hard drive was still showing as Qemu drive.

that's normal. it's still a virtual qemu drive (not passthroughed real hardware)

Yes, I also checked that box in the hard drive options to check if it was gonna make any difference, and it didn't.
was worth a shot anyway.

I have been checking that, and it seems that my NVME that has a speed of 3000/3000 is only able to achieve like half of it on a Windows 10 VM. Do you suggest any change or what can be happening?

your virtual disk controller has a large effect. probably the best would be scsi disks with "virtio scsi" controller. for windows you might have to install some drivers. check this page[0]

[0]: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Migrat...xmox_VE#Convert_Windows_to_use_SCSI_.28KVM.29

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!