[SOLVED] Split VLAN Trunk into multiple Access Port Bridges

thomas-hn

Oct 26, 2021
Hello,

I read a lot about the network configuration and VLANs in Proxmox VE, but there is still one point I don't understand.
Is it possible to receive a VLAN Trunk on one hardware NIC with Proxmox VE and split the VLANs to different Virtual Bridges where each Bridge acts as an Access Ports for the specific VLAN?

For example, Proxmox receives a VLAN Trunk with the VLANs 10, 20, 30 and on Proxmox I will have three Bridge vmbr10, vmbr20, vmbr30 where each of the Bridges is connected to the corresponding VLAN ID, but Proxmox handles the Bridge like an Access Port and all the traffic for the specific VLAN ID is completely untagged on the specific Bridge?

I tried to make it even more clear via a small diagram:
Proxmox_VLAN.jpg

Thanks a lot in advance,

Thomas

There is no need to set up a specific bridge interface. Usually the division of vlan is on the switch. If you need to configure multiple vlans in the pve virtual machine network, I think you need to set hybrid on the port connected to the switch.
For example :
port link-type hybrid port hybrid pvid vlan 10 port hybrid tagged vlan 20 port hybrid untagged vlan 10 mode lacp-static
I set the interface on the switch as hybrid, and when the vlanid is not filled in, it defaults to vlan10. If I hit vlan tag 20, it can also be released. Of course,it supported more vlanid-tag ,you can port hybrid tagged vlan 10 20 30 and so on

Last edited:
Lets say your physical interface is called eno0. You can do that via GUI by adding three 'Linux VLAN's eno0.10, eno0.20, eno.30 and then the three Bridges vmbr10, vmbr20, vmbr30 which have bridge-ports eno0.10, eno0.20, eno0.30 respectively. No need to make anything VLAN-aware then.

Your /etc/network/interfaces should look something like that:
Code:
auto eno0
iface eno0 inet manual

auto eno0.10
iface eno0.30 inet manual

auto eno0.20

auto eno0.30

auto vmbr10
iface vmbr10 inet manual
        bridge-ports eno0.10
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
#Bridge VLAN 10

auto vmbr20
iface vmbr20 inet manual
        bridge-ports eno0.20
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
#Bridge VLAN 20

auto vmbr30
iface vmbr30 inet manual
        bridge-ports eno0.30
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
#Bridge VLAN 30

That should work for your VMs. If your Proxmox Host only has one single interface, then in order to access your Proxmox Host there needs to be a way to access the Host. If you want to access your Host via VLAN10, then you add the Proxmox IP to the vmbr10 bridge, like so:

Code:
auto vmbr10
iface vmbr10 inet manual
        address x.x.x.x/24
        gateway x.x.x.x
        bridge-ports eno0.10
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
#Bridge VLAN 10

Hello,

I read a lot about the network configuration and VLANs in Proxmox VE, but there is still one point I don't understand.
Is it possible to receive a VLAN Trunk on one hardware NIC with Proxmox VE and split the VLANs to different Virtual Bridges where each Bridge acts as an Access Ports for the specific VLAN?

For example, Proxmox receives a VLAN Trunk with the VLANs 10, 20, 30 and on Proxmox I will have three Bridge vmbr10, vmbr20, vmbr30 where each of the Bridges is connected to the corresponding VLAN ID, but Proxmox handles the Bridge like an Access Port and all the traffic for the specific VLAN ID is completely untagged on the specific Bridge?

I tried to make it even more clear via a small diagram:
View attachment 53648

Thanks a lot in advance,

Thomas
hello,
Are you find the solution for your issue? I want to do the same and via openvswitch but for the moment it's not still work :-(

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!