Spice X session?

Pumpapa

Oct 10, 2012
I have a fresh installation (4.0-54) with a fresh Jessie container.
I can't for the life of me get more than a terminal window out of Spice.

The spice wiki isn't very helpful:
  • 'In order to enable Spice, just select SPICE as virtual "Graphic card" - as shown in the screenshot on top of this page.'
    But this is a container which doesn't seem to have a hardware tab /
    virtual "Graphic card"

From my Mac (any browser) the spice-file is downloaded. I've installed OSX remote viewer but when I use it to open the file, I just get a 'connection details' window. I've tried several URI's like `spice://192.168.0.129:3128`with either the server or VM IP address and various port numbers. At best I get 'Unable to connect to the graphic server spice://192.168.0.129:3128'.

On a debian (Virtualbox) VM with virt-viewer 1.0 I get a remote viewer which is just a terminal window.

I've spent several hours reading this and other fora, and I don't know how to proceed.

Any help would be most welcome.

Hi
To open a graphical session from a Container, you can also install a vncserver in the container ( vnc4server debian package), and connect to it with your standard VNC client. Note that there is nothing specific in he VNC setup, so you can follow the general vnc documentation.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!