spice not working correctly

tonci

Renowned Member
Jun 26, 2010
I usually use linux vms for some purpose because spice agent works out-of-the-box. But recently something has changed and Ubuntu (24.04) spice driver got very very slow . Then I tested some older ubuntu versions like 20.04 and right after installation spice mode worked in real-time (very good) but as soon as I updated this configuration it started working very very slow again.
Beside that, I could not got windows VM working in spice mode properly. As soon as I click on the spice window I got "press ctrl-alt-R to release pointer in remote viewer"
I'm accessing PVE web interface from linux and using spice from pve GUI ..... It used to work very very good

What I' doing wrong ?
Thank you very much in advance for your support

BR
Tonci

When you say you're accessing PVE web interface from linux, I guess that means you're running a Linux desktop or laptop?

If that's the case, are you using virt-viewer as your spice client, and having that be launched automatically from the pve web interface when you click the Console button on a VM or something?

Yes, from linux desktop (kubuntu). but ... I do not have virt-viewer installed (?) i suppose i should install it ?

No, sorry .. I do have installed it :

+++-==============-============-============-=====================================================
ii virt-viewer 7.0-2build2 amd64 Displaying the graphical console of a virtual machine

No worries. When you click the "Console" button in the PVE webUI to open a console in a new window, what gets launched? :)

I can choose between noVNC and Spice ... I choose Spice
But ... I've just installed LinuxMint distro and Spice works as it should ..... Maybe it's distro-related ?

Reactions: justinclift
Oh, do you have any of the "Spice Enhancements" turned on in the VM options for the Ubuntu one that's acting up?

I've been using "Video Streaming: all" for a Win11 (using AtlasOS) VM, and that's been fine so far.

Win11 is not working OK ... now I cannot even make win10 worikng ok with spice (even with spice enhacements)
this is what I'm experiencing: 1716619568065.png

Oh. And the Ctrl+Alt+R combination isn't working for you?

Hmmm... I'd actually just try something pretty simple (and maybe dumb)... and reboot your desktop just in case it's some weird temporary problem client side.

Unless it's also happening if you try launching spice from a different computer, which would means it's not just a temporary client side problem.

Next thought, do you have the QEMU guest agent running in the Win11 VM?

When that's installed on my Win11 VM, the mouse pointer enters and exists the spice viewer window without me needing to press that key combination. Maybe that's whats going wrong in yours?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!