SPICE linux qxl display driver

kbailey204

Sep 7, 2015
Sorry if I'm missing something but I've dug through the wiki and search this forum to no avail. I have a few vm's running including Linux Mint, ubuntu, and Win 7. I can get the auto resizing, and sound working through win 7 with the spice-guest-tools.exe but on ubuntu and mint I cannot get the qxl stuff working. Both distros have the spice-vdagent package installed. I tried compiling the xf86-video-qxl-0.1.4.tar.bz2 in mint and it gives me "no package 'x-org-server' found". What am I missing?

But you get the display working under the Linux distros?

I tried it with some linux guest and it worked out of the box with all (didn't tested audio though). Ubuntu 15.4 was also under tested guests.
WHats your pveversion -v output and the VM configuration?

The qxl driver is included on all linux distributions > 2011 so no need to compile stuff here.

What is the output of lscpi | grep VGA on your Linux VMs ?

It shows that I'm running the RedHat paravirtualized QXL driver. Mint still reports it is in software rendering mode and auto resizing does not work.

Ok. I played around with the PCI passthrough in the past. That part is not a big deal. Is the auto resize functionality tied to the version of virt-viewer running on my machine I'm connecting with, or something that only works with windows VM's?

Ok. So I removed the archaic 0.5.6 deb package that comes with mint and compiled and installed from source the newest 2.0 from the virt-viewer website but still no auto resize on linux distros? For some reason, in the past, I swore I got it to work and if you went under displays in ubuntu or mint, the "monitor" showed as QXL or redhat something instead of unknown like it is now. Any ideas?

Ok I tinkered and researched a bit, can you test the following:
1) shut down the guest
2) execute:
Code:
qm set <VMID> --args "-device virtio-serial-pci,bus=pci.0,addr=0x4"
3) restart the guest
4) now a new devices should be visible in your guest under
Code:
ls /dev/virtio-ports/
com.redhat.spice.0

After that you should be able to copy paste between host and client, auto resize ( at least xrandr updates the screen res correctly if I resize the spice client window) and better mouse integration.

Works for me with spice-vdagent under Ubuntu 14.04 as guest and virt-viewer 1.0.

EDIT:
removed the
Code:
-chardev spicevmc,id=spicechannel0,name=vdagent
parameter as it's already added by PVE, so it should work without it.

Last edited:
That did the trick with the ubuntu VM. Linux Mint still is not playing nice. I'm going to assume something about cinnamon is dropping the ball on reporting the new screen resolution to xrandr on fullscreen and resizing.

Yes it's a bit distro/desktop environment/window manager dependent.
Fedora has a nice support, it works out of the box (even during the installation).

More than the additional args: string I posted above cannot be done by the hosts' (qemu's) side, AFAIK. :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!