Spice & Firefox Not Working

longhair

Jun 27, 2014
I've been away for a long time and I decided to give this another go.

I just installed the latest version, created a VM and when I try to open it with Spice, a file with no extension (N9QOOFB5) is downloaded but I cannot open it.

I downloaded and installed the latest virt-viewer from https://virt-manager.org/download/

Google & this forum search hasn't been very helpful due to the fact that there is no file extension so I cannot associate it with any program in the Firefox options.

Yes.

Even when I was trying to use Spice for the node shell, it would download files with no extensions.

This is working fine. With Firefox directly and with Chrome with one Click on the file. Firefox ask with what app you would like to open. And you can associate it with the explorer

It is not working fine. If it was, I wouldn't have made this post.

How is one suppose to associate random file names that have no extension (read: no *.vv) with explorer?

UPDATE:

I scraped the Proxmox and reinstalled it (test server). Uninstalled virt-viewer 6.0-256 (64-bit), rebooted my Windows 7 machine and reinstalled a fresh download of the same version.

Everything seems to be working now but it raises the question: What do I do when the same thing happens in a production environment where the above steps are not possible?

Everything seems to be working now but it raises the question: What do I do when the same thing happens in a production environment where the above steps are not possible?
Sorry, never had a problem with that, used it sice many years. Maybe the difference is that the clients here are always Linux-Desktops. But we had one customer with one Win7pro client. But there were also never a problem.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!