Spam Traps

I thought about something like rspamd:
https://rspamd.com/doc/modules/spamtrap.html

I've read about in another anti-spam appliance.
On our proxmox-mail-gateway we see lot's of failure recepient adresses.
It would be nice to make a catchall for failure recepients and automatically use them as spam trap.
Maybe there would be some people writing to an false adress, but if you don't block them immediately, you can use them as one requirement of the spam score.

If someone writes daily to maybe 15 false mail-adresses the same mail it's probably spam

You have two options here: learn such mail as spam => that's easy, create a catch-all mailbox on your destination mailserver and fetch all the mails from this mailbox and learn them as spam (e.g. see my script at my advancing PMG thread). However, you would also learn mails from people, who misspell mailboxes, so maybe look in your tracking center for "typical" spam boxes and set them up to learn. However, I already thought about that, but I'm afraid, that learning such mails as spam would have a big drawback: It's "dirty" spam and as/if this spam usually does not reach your valid mailboxes, your bayes filter will get worser by tagging just this "stupid shit" as spam and not real spam getting directly to existing mailboxes. I also started in the beginning by downloading spam archives to learn my spam filter, but it wasn't "my spam" it was "their spam" and so the bayes filter was really bad.

Another option you could choose and which would be much greater => setup a blacklist on such spam. I'm unsure, if it's good to set up on the sender IP as maybe you will add services like Google, Yahoo, etc. but maybe use the sender address (as long as it hasn't been spoofed this could help out). Maybe you want also to contribute your list.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!