[SOLVED] Spam Quarantine - Whitelist - Entries

Gaugamon

Oct 26, 2023
Hey there,

Quick question: After adding an email sender to the whitelist in the "Administration - Spam Quarantine" section, where can I find this entry? I'm a bit lost because I whitelisted my test email address, but I can't seem to locate the entry.

Thanks a bunch!

Do you mean the `User Whitelist` under Administration?
If you select that tab, there's a drop-down box with email addresses if you have at least one containing whitelist entries.
Did you add yours to one of those mail addresses?

Ah, I understand now. I overlooked the drop-down menu where I can make selections. Thank you so much for pointing that out.

Now I have another question. I'm aware that there are two whitelists – one within the Mail Filter under "Who Objects" for bypassing spam checks, and the other under "Configuration-Whitelist" for bypassing SMTP checks. I initially thought that whitelisting a sender via "Spam Quarantine - Mail - Whitelist" would automatically add an entry to "Who Objects." However, it seems there's a third whitelist (a second one for disabling spam checks?). Could you please clarify why it's set up that way and why it's sorted after the recipient? Does this have any impact, or is it just for organizational reasons?

Thanks a lot in advance. :)

The User Whitelist is for mails that were marked as spam and put into quarantine.
If the sender is on the whitelist for a recipient, then instead of going into quarantine, it will be delivered. But this happens on a per-user basis. So if a sender sends to multiple recipients, but only one has it whitelisted, the others will still have the mail in their quarantine. It's basically an escape hatch in case the mail has been quarantined, rather than accepted.

While the rule-based whitelist, which is only a default rule and can be removed, or replaced by another rule entirely, has `Accept` as action. So a mail matching the whitelist rule, will never be put into quarantine.

There's a small overview of the different lists here: https://pmg.proxmox.com/pmg-docs/pmg-admin-guide.html#pmgconfig_whitelist_overview

Reactions: Gaugamon

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!