[SOLVED] SoYouStart & Failover IPs

citrix

Dec 24, 2019
Hi Proxmox Forum Users,

Looking for some guidance if possible, I've done various searches on google/ovh docs but still hitting a bit of a brick wall.

where I cam so far:

using Proxmox VE 6.1-5
I have 4 Failover IPS
I've created a MAC address for one of the address's I'm wishing to use and have added this mac address to the network adapter of the VM in proxmox.
I've then logged into the VM and checked my network devices. ip link show - i have lo and ens18
I've then logged into the VM (Debian 10) and edited the /etc/network/interfaces
I've used the following config (recomended in: )

auto lo eth0
iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet static
address FAILOVER_IP
netmask 255.255.255.255
broadcast FAILOVER_IP
post-up route add GATEWAY_IP dev eth0
post-up route add default gw GATEWAY_IP
pre-down route del GATEWAY_IP dev eth0
pre-down route del default gw GATEWAY_IP

eth0 = I've replaced with ens18
FAILOVER_IP = the failover ip associated to the mac address i created
GATEWAY_IP = the main ip of the server replacing the end with .254

at the moment I just get failed to start Raise network interfaces and can't bring up ens18 :(

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

just to give an update, I believe I have now resolved the issue with the help from members at lowendtalk :)

I used the following config:

auto ens18
iface ens18 inet static
address FAILOVER_IP
netmask 255.255.255.255
gateway GATEWAY_IP
pointopoint GATEWAY_IP
dns-nameservers 1.1.1.1 1.0.0.1

I then had an issue where i could ssh into the box and ping ips etc but couldn't resolve DNS, this was because of resolv.conf missing :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!