Sometimes no Network

tzzz90

May 10, 2022
Hello, I have a strange phenomenon on a newly installed Proxmox server. After a restart, the Proxmox server is sporadically unavailable. Neither via SSH nor via the webgui and the server cannot be pinged either. If I shut down the server and unplug and reboot, I definitely have no network. Various issues when I have no network. The server has 3 network connections, one of which is for remote management. In some cases, after I had no network connection, I plugged the cable into the second network connection and suddenly had network again, although eno0 is still bound to vmbr0 in the webgui.

Cat /etc/network/interfaces

interfaces.PNG

Ethtool eno1

ethtool eno1.PNG

Ethtool eth0

ethtool eth0.PNG

Proxmox

proxmox.PNG

Ip link

iplink.PNG

Pvversion
pve-manager/7.2-7/d0dd0e85 (running kernel: 5.15.30-2-pve)

Same here, after upgrading from 6.4 to 7.2 some weeks ago, some reboots worked.
A week ago - no connection after reboot, always having to do "service networking restart" via console (PiKVM :) )
and some services which fail without network, too.

pve-manager/7.2-7/d0dd0e85 (running kernel: 5.15.39-4-pve)
Tried the older kernel 5.15.39-3-pve, too - no change.

Code:
# /etc/network/interfaces
auto lo                                                                                                                                                                                                          
iface lo inet loopback                                                                                                                                                                                            

iface eno1 inet manual                                                                                                                                                                                            

iface eth0 inet manual                                                                                                                                                                                            

auto vmbr0                                                                                                                                                                                                        
iface vmbr0 inet static                                                                                                                                                                                          
        address 172.16.50.254/24                                                                                                                                                                                  
        gateway 172.16.50.1
        bridge-ports eno1
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0

auto vmbr0v99
iface vmbr0v99 inet static
        address 192.168.99.254/24
        bridge-ports eno1.99
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0

So doing this as workaround for now: crontab -l

Code:
@reboot systemctl restart networking && systemctl restart service1 service2

Reactions: tzzz90

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!