Some way to add PVE shared folder in windows network?

ruffpl

Jan 11, 2020
Is there a way to add a folder from Proxmox that can be shared in windows network? I need some extra network drive to share files between pc and laptops f.ex when my wife need some Power Point presentations, photos or other files without looking for usb drive or play with bluetooth (just to copy temporary files between all devices). Is there some easy way without creating container/ virtual machine with OS and drives?

hi,

i guess you could configure a container with SMB server running on it :)

if you want to use the files from your PVE host, you can just keep your files on the host and pass a bindmount [0] to the container.

Is there some easy way without creating container/ virtual machine with OS and drives?
(running services on the hypervisor itself is usually discouraged)

hope this helps

[0]: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Linux_Container#_bind_mount_points

OpenMediaVault in a unprivileged Debian LXC with folders bind-mounted from the host to the LXC works fine too.

Proxmox itself doesn't got any NAS functionalities build in.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!