Some sort of virtual router, like pfSense or Smoothwall

puwaha

Could you please show me how you setup IPFire within proxmox? The step-by-step process on setting up IPFire as a virtual host within proxmox?

Thanks....

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I haven't had any issues with Proxmox, so I don't visit this forum very much. But here's a quick rundown:

1. Install two separate NICs to use exclusively for the IPFire VM (or any other router VM you want). You don't want to use the NIC that Proxmox or any of the other VMs use for security reasons.
2. Set them up in Proxmox but don't assign them any network information. If you do assign them network information withing Proxmox, you may expose your Proxmox system to the outside world.
3. Setup a KVM session with the guest type as Linux 2.6, and otherwise generic hardware (IDE drive, etc.). I used 512MB of memory and an 8GB harddrive size. Adjust as you see fit if you want to push IPFire harder than just a router/firewall.
4. Now the important first step, setup two emulated NICs before you launch the VM for the first time. I'd stick with the more well known emulated NICs like an e1000 or an rtl8139. You might do one of each so you can easily tell them apart in the IPFire setup... or just note the emulated MAC addresses to tell them apart.
5. You'll want to at the very least connect your "Red" connection (external WAN or internet connection) to your NIC you want to use for that connection if your Internet or WAN connection requires DHCP.
6. Run the VM and install IPFire... follow the instructions from IPFire.org as they are very detailed. If you've ever setup a linux router distro before then it's pretty straightforward.
7. After it's all setup on the emulated NICs, shutdown the IPFire VM, and modify the VM config in Proxmox to delete the emulated NICs, and add the VIRTIO NICs. Make sure that the VIRTIO NICs are only pointing to the two physical NICS that you just installed (i.e. ETH1 and ETH2). No other VMs or the Proxmox system should use these NICs. Note the MAC addresses to make it easy to tell which is which when you are back in the IPFire setup. You will only have the two VIRTIO NICs in the VM config... no other emulated NICs. If you want to experiment with DMZs or wifi connections in IPFire you can always go back later and add in extra VIRTIO NICs to accomodate those zones.
8. Boot the IPFire VM and in the console (use the Proxmox GUI not the any SSH console at this point, as there is no network setup on the VM.) You will see IPFire complain about the missing configuration and not start the core router functions. Check and see if the VIRTIO NICs installed by issuing the command "lspci" (without quotes) and see if the "Ethernet controller: Red Hat, Inc Virtio network device" is listed twice. If they are you can continue... if they aren't reboot the IPFire VM from within the VM by issuing the "reboot" command.
9. Now you are ready to run the setup again by issuing the command "setup" (without quotes) and go through the setup again and point the "Red" and "Green" networks to the appropriate NIC.

That's it.

You could do the same with any other Linux router distro that supports VIRTIO hardware... I believe the only requirement is that the distro has a 2.6 linux kernel.

Thanks for your answer.
Could you give me an example of ethernet addresses for:
- the physical cards in Proxmox.
- the LAN cards in the VM.

Regards.

For the two NICs that you dedicate to the router VM, you do not assign any network information within the Proxmox webGUI. Leave the IP address as 0.0.0.0

As for setting them up within the VM, I would follow the setup instructions for the router distro you are using. There is nothing special to do in the VM to get it working. You just follow the instructions to setup the NICs for your unique situation. The most typical setup is to dedicate one of the NICs to the "Red" network which is the connection to the outside world... set it up for either DHCP or Static IP depending on how your ISP works. Physically connect that NIC to your Internet connection. The other NIC is for the "Green" network, which runs your internal LAN. Pysically connect that NIC to a network switch.

If you use emulated NICs, you will be limited in bandwidth to about 20Mb/s. So I suggest using IPFire with VIRTIO NICs as outlined above, unless there is a feature you explicitly need in another router distro package.

I am interested in using a proxmox client as Virtual router that will manage 3 ADSL connections. I have no experience in using virtual routers, so I wouldn't know how to compare them. I know of the existence of Vyatta. How does this project relate to IPFire and pfsense? I was planning to use 802.1Q.

Will there be an actual template to download soon, so I can evaluate?

I am interested in using a proxmox client as Virtual router that will manage 3 ADSL connections. I have no experience in using virtual routers, so I wouldn't know how to compare them. I know of the existence of Vyatta. How does this project relate to IPFire and pfsense? I was planning to use 802.1Q.

Will there be an actual template to download soon, so I can evaluate?

If the speed of the DSL connections are less than 20Mb/s each, then you could use any router package that is out there... Smoothwall, pfSense, IPFire, Vyatta, Astaro, etc.

There are way too many packages out there to just recommend one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_router_or_firewall_distributions

I
would suggest looking some of them up and seeing if they have the features you need. Then run them in a Proxmox VM (using KVM, not OpenVZ) with a couple of physically dedicated NIC cards (or virtual!) and see if they will do what you want. That's part of the beauty of using a VM system like Proxmox. You can experiment with lots of different scenarios without having to have tons of dedicated hardware.

The main reason I recommended IPFire is that it seems to be the easiest to get the VIRTIO network drivers up and running for better NIC bandwidth. I don't think it will work with your advanced configuration. But I do think pfSense and ZeroShell do.

AFAIK, there are VIRTIO drivers for FreeBSD now that can be used with pfSense. Vyatta is maybe a great match because it's also Debian based. However, if you like a nice GUI for the firewall, I would definitely recommend pfSense. In terms of functionality, there aren't many firewalls out there that beat pfSense, IMO. I haven't used IPFire, so I can't really comment on that.

I believe Vyatta has lost its webIF in their community release and although I love doing things using CLI I very much appreciate a good webIF where I can have a good overview of the setup.
That's why I will probably go for pfsense....

Now for the hardware...
I am still not sure if I should run pfsense as a Virtual Machine in Proxmox. If so, I want to go with 2.0 immediately as HA is what I want from it.
I already have a cluster of 2 running Proxmox 1.9, but I don't want to mess with that yet...
I was thinking of using a little motherboard with 2 NICs. 1 NIC for syncing and the other for Networking.

I have not designed nor configured vlanned-configs before and I would appreciate it if someone could tell me where I go wrong, but this is what I want to do:

The "networking NIC" of both nodes will be attached to a cheap Netgear GS108E switch that supports 802.1Q (port 1 and 2)
The switch will decapsulate vlan4 to port 4, vlan5 to port 5 and so on..........
I can then attach a modem to port 4 and that one will appear on port 1 and 2 as vlan4

In the VM running pfsense I will use vlan4 ~ vlan8 as interfaces for LAN and WAN....
Should and can I define these vlans inside the VM or should I do this on the host?
If one of the nodes break down, the other should automatically take over (will I not have problems with different MACs?)
I'm planning to have a spare switch already configured in case that one breaks down.

Besides all the assumptions I made which may not be true I have 2 other direct questions...

Do I need to have a special switch if I want to define VLANS inside VLANS (QinQ)?
Can these VLANs travel over normal switches?

I know all of this is a bit messy and incomplete, but I would really appreciate some input/comments

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!