Some Linux related questions

c0utta

Dec 31, 2011
I'm running 2.0 on a HP Microserver with 8GB of RAM to host MythTV (kvm) and 3 other containers for my home network. All has been running well for 6 months.

Last night I noticed that MythTV wasn't running correctly and saw that "HD space (root)" was full (3.45GB/3.45GB). I did some reading, and found that there were some Samba logs and archives that I could delete. Back to 2.45GB/3.45GB.

Then my load averages started to increase, although my environment was still responsive - figures between 8-25 (example: 25.01 18.04 16.23). I checked top and noticed that there were many processes running, such as bounce and error with postfix as the user. I then shutdown the SMTP service and load averages went back to normal.

Firstly, I don't need SMTP running because I don't send/receive e-mails so I don't really care that the service is stopped.

My questions:
- a safe way to manage "HD space (root)"
- what would have been the cause of the "load average" problem

Thanks,

c0utta

No answers, so either my question was too basic or too complex (probably too basic).

I checked my syslog and it was filling up with postfix messages - possibly because there is no defined e-mail address. Stopping the SMTP server has stopped this from occurring again:

Therefore, can I ask - how can I ensure a service doesn't start at boot (I want to disable the SMTP service)

Thanks,

c0utta

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!